Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What..?

Today in the library, I was talking to my friend and she said:

"Stop smsing. I know, you're smsing a girl right?"

And before I could say anything, she went on:

"I see love in your eyes!"

And then I said:

"What? It's a guy!"

And she said,

"Oh is it? Whatever, I still see love in your eyes!"

WHHAATTT..????

Ha! But I lied! Hahahahaa!!!

Anyway, I've been thinking about something for awhile now. Actually, not just awhile but for a long time actually. It started a few years back if I recall correctly.

I've realised that sometimes, people say that they know something is wrong with whatever their doing. I don't mean wrong as in what they're doing is bad. I mean wrong as in answering questions and stuff like that.

Most of the time, people know that they're wrong and don't know what the right answer is. It's kinda weird, I think. I mean, if we know something is wrong, we should know the correct answer. Otherwise, how would we know we are wrong in the first place? And if we know the correct answer because we know we got the wrong answer the first time, won't they be able to figure out themselves? Or just keep trying until they get less and less wrong and eventually get the correct answer?

I'll apply this to an example of tuning a guitar. When we play an out of tuned guitar, we know it's out of tune. (Assuming we do play the guitar and can tell that it is out of tune) However, ask us to tune the guitar and we wouldn't know how to. We would require aid such as an electronic tuner or a tuning fork etc. So why can't we just tune it ourselves? I mean, we only know it is out of tune because we know the correct tuning and we know that the guitar in our hands has strayed from the actual tuning. So why can't we just go in one direction and try tuning it until it gets less and less wrong and eventually we get a nicely tuned guitar? This would be really interesting to see because someone got the correct answer not because he knows how to solve the question but because he knows what is wrong and he just has to do what is right.

Of course, I have been thinking about this and I realised that many of us say that we know something is wrong but we can't fix it. Personally, I'd find out first if something is wrong or not. Otherwise assumed right until shown wrong.

But really, is this what it really is? I doubt. I think what's happening here is a breakaway from intuition. Just because we know something is wrong does not mean we know what is right. Contradictory? no. Just because we think something isn't right doesn't mean it's wrong either. We're just unsure of the correct answer. But then, how do we know whether our answers are wrong or correct? We don't. Most of the time, people assume their answers wrong until shown correct or known that it is correct.

Um.. so how does this help?

I don't know. Maybe next time you think your answer is wrong, sit down and think for awhile why you might be thinking that your answer is wrong. Is it because you know the correct answer? If so, then work towards it. If you don't know the correct answer but still think it's wrong. Think again, you're just unsure of the correct answer.

Enough said..

No comments: