Friday, November 27, 2009

An unexpected turn of events.



What an awesome book! First saw it at MPH yesterday.

Today was the start of the SITEX IT fair that was held at expo. I have been planning to attend this event since last week and I went there with Tuan Qi. I didn't have anything in particular to look out for but some of the things on my mind was a webcam, a mouse, and an external hard drive.

We met up in the morning and took the train ride to expo. It's been awhile since I've last been to expo. On the way there, we talked about the book mentioned above and how we were much more interested in that book than in the IT fair. We decided that if we had enough time, we would go and search for the book. Also, Tuan Qi told me that he just bought the book "50 ideas you really need to know" yesterday. He's is the generic copy and contains stuff from philosophy to science. It was a nice coincidence that we both knew about similar books from the same publisher on the same day and he was telling me about it.

We spent an hour at the show there looking at stuff. Computers, games, consoles, televisions etc. Most of the stuff you'd find at your usual IT fair. We had loads of great deals coming our way too. We only wished we had enough money to take up the offers. There was this small booth at the corner featuring computer accessories at rock bottom prices so I bought myself some stuff. I saw something that looked kinda weird and I asked the assistant what it was. She said it was a mouse carrier that can be unfolded to be a mousepad. I was telling Tuan Qi how "Cool" this thing was and her colleague overheard and continued to add saying how "cool" it was and what other "cool" mouse accessories they had and I let her finish. When she ran out of things to say, I told her that all these stuff she had mentioned would really be "cool" if I did have a muse to begin with. She gave a humph, smiled, and walked off. She looked our age too. So much for having to deal with eccentric customers.

We left the place and decided it was still early. We went to Kinokuniya at Takashimaya after that. We didn't really had the book about 50 ideas in mind. We wanted to find the book written by the guy who started Newtonian Mechanics, Sir Issac Newton himself - Principia. We discussed how the modern day Principia would be like compared to how he first wrote it and whether it would be affordable for us.

Upon reaching, we were greeted by the book that Tuan Qi got yesterday. I wondered if they had the others and not just the generic ones but they weren't one of our priorities so we went to the counter to ask if they had the book Principia. They directed us to the Physics section and we looked at the shelf. It was wonderful. Loads of books on quantum mechanics and theoretical physics. The shelf behind us was about cosmology. Personally, I decided that I'd save the quantum stuff for later since it's really different from the normal classical physics that we know and we need to learn from scratch again if we were to do quantum.

We found the Principia they had but with it was a price tag big enough to keep your pockets empty for weeks! The version they had wasn't what we expected either and it was for the common reader. We didn't want something a common reader would read. We want the Principia, or otherwise known as the Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica. We found another version of the Principia near it. This one was much closer to what we wanted and it was at an affordable price too. However, when we looked between the pages, it was all in traditional English, nothing we would understand. We didn't like books printed in the format it had either. It would be a bore to read. Not because it didn't have pictures. It had plenty of diagrams. However, the fonts and usage of old English didn't appeal to us.

We looked around the same shelf for other books and what we saw really was a bonus. We saw the book "50 physics ideas you really need to know". I grabbed copy right away and I had to purchase it. I really was more interested in this book than the IT fair.

We walked around and looked at nearby shelves for books too and decided to leave after that. I saw the time. It wasn't what I expected, but it wasn't surprising.

We spent an hour at the IT fair and we saw alot of stuff. We went through many booths, looked at many different computer models and even took time to choose the products I wanted.

We spent over an hour at Kinokuniya, looked at books from only 3 shelves, spent 10 minutes laughing to ourselves at a book on "Singlish" and didn't hesitate to grab a copy of the aforementioned book on physics when I saw it.

That book cost twice as much as the total amount of money I spent at the IT fair too. On the way back, it was the only thing in the carrier that I was really interested in.

It was awesome. We still didn't get what we want though. We hadn't found the Principia that we wanted.

And that, was the most important.

Enough said.

No comments: