Sunday, December 6, 2009

The start of December

It's the start of December and many people are in the Christmas season already.

For me, I've just finished wrapping a gift. I'm really proud of it and although I know almost everybody out there doesn't care how it's wrapped, I'd still like to share because I thought it was pretty clever.

I thought out and planned a drawer style wrapping design. Easy to obtain the gift while still hiding the unknown inside.

Here's a simple model I came up with on the computer.



So yeah, as you can see, the recipient can easily pull out the gift like a drawer. To prevent it from slipping out when being carried or held upside down, heavy testing had to be done on the paper texture, thickness and flexibility so that it can be held in place by friction and folding alone.

The end result was same as the model shown above. The paper was stiff enough to hold the gift in place when held or shook and the texture was rough enough to keep it there.

Ok actually, to be honest, I hardly did any testing. It all just fit together really well.

So who's this gift for? I'm not sure actually, I'm still thinking. I've probably decided but then again.. Oh well.

It wouldn't be a surprise if I say it here would it? Haha!

Every year for the past few years my mom has been asking me what I want for Christmas and I would tell her something I want that I saw earlier in the year. However, when it got to Christmas, it turns out she always got me something different. I know Christmas is more than just receiving gifts and having good food but I was quite unhappy when I opened her present, not because I didn't get what I want but because she got me something different. I wouldn't mind if I didn't get what I want for Christmas but every year my mom would ask me and I would get something different in the end so why should she even ask? Recently, whenever she would ask me what I want for Christmas, I would say I wouldn't want anything, since she probably won't get it for me anyway. I'd just say I don't have anything I want this Christmas. Sometimes it's true and I really didn't want anything for Christmas, sometimes, it isn't but since I guess I won't get it, I'll just say that I don't want anything.

Now, I don't expect anything for Christmas anymore. I don't care if I don't get what I have been hoping to get and I don't care if I don't get anything at all. I just want to be happy. And for me, to be happy during Christmas is to see other people happy, from enjoying their presents or just being together and appreciating the spirit of Christmas. I don't care if I don't get anything, I just want to see the people around me happy, and that would be good enough for me.

And hence the gift. I've prepared the gift for someone who's Christmas I'd like to brighten up so that it'll make me glad, that at least someone is enjoying Christmas, even if it's receiving gifts and not seeing the value of Christmas the way I see it, although I know this person won't!

But why the unusual wrapping? Why did you make a pouch and a drawer as a way to wrap the gift rather than use convectional methods that are much easier to do so? Why did you spend so much time wrapping it so that the person will open it the way you see it even though you know they'll probably just rip apart the wrapper? Why did you even think of putting in an instruction slip so they actually slide the gift out and not tear the paper to obtain it?

Why?

Because it's all in the details.

^^

Enough said..

No comments: